VCDS-Lite for all 3rd party and "Dumb" Interfaces on 2005 or older VAG cars
VCDS-Lite is Copyright 2012 by Ross-Tech LLC / Uwe M. Ross. All rights are reserved.
De-compilation, disassembly, reverse-engineering, alteration, use as a reference tool for the purpose of developing a product with similar
functionality, and re-distribution in any form without the prior written consent of the author is prohibited.
The unregistered shareware version of VCDS-Lite is free for non-commercial use, but no support of any kind is available.
Use in a commercial environment requires registration.
By downloading this software, you acknowledge that this Program is provided "as is" and "with all faults, defects and errors" and that all use of
the Program is at your own full risk.; ; It has been extensively tested, but we cannot guarantee it will work correctly
with every system in every car.; We will make our best effort to fix any bugs and to enhance the program, but we specifically disclaim any
liability for damage to your computer or your car, and we do not promise; to have any particular enhancements available on any
- If you have a HEX, KEY, KII, or Micro-CAN interface, you're on the wrong page.;
Please go here instead.
- Download the self-installing distribution file.;
- Run it and follow the prompts to allow it to install itself.;
- You must install VCDS-Lite on your PC's hard disk! It will not work properly if you try running it directly from a
floppy or CD.;;; However, you can use a floppy or CD to move the distribution file from a PC with internet access to another PC that does not
have internet access.
- Connect an appropriate interface between the computer and the car.; Ross-Tech does not
supply interfaces for VCDS-Lite.;; VCDS-Lite works with some of our old interfaces from many years ago, as well as many
- Turn the car's ignition switch ON.; No need to start the engine.
- Start the VCDS-Lite program:
- Click [Options] and select the correct communicationsport.;
- Use [Test] to confirm that the program can use the port and find the interface.;
- Then [Save].;
Note to registered users updating from older versions:
- Now Play.; Make sure the software can reliably access all the control modules that it should in your car.;;; See
our Application Charts.;; Read Fault Codes from some modules.
- In order to get access to some of the more advanced functions, will need to register
and activate the software.; The exact differences in functionality between the unregistered/shareware and
registered/activated versions are summarized in this handy chart.
- If you're updating from VCDS-Lite version 1.0 or 1.1 you should not need a new activation.
Simply install VCDS-Lite in the same location and it should use your existing activation.
- If you're upgrading from an older version such as VAG-COM version 311 or 409, you will need a new activation.
- VCDS-Lite works with most 3rd-party "Dumb K-Line" interfaces
as well as the following ancient low-tech Ross-Tech
Interfaces, the last of which we sold early in 2004:
- VCDS-Lite works with all standard versions of Windows, from Windows 95 though Window 10.
Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows builds work fine, but if you're using a 3rd-Party USB interface, keep in mind
that it is your interface supplier's responsibility to provide a driver for his hardware.
- VCDS-Lite does NOT work on Windows RT
Windows RT runs on devices with ARM (instead of x86) CPUs and normal
Windows programs like VCDS-Lite simply do not work on them.
- The default installation folder is C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS-Lite\
If allowed to install in the default location, it should not interfere with an existing Ross-Tech
software on your PC.
- To remove older versions, simply delete the shortcuts from your Start menu and Desktop and delete the old
folders which are normally:
C:\VAG-COM\ or C:\VAG-COM-Beta\ or C:\Program Files\VAG-COM\ or C:\Program Files\VAG-COM-Beta\